Saturday, April 2, 2011

Something to Aspire To


Today's Topic:  Day six: 2nd April. Something to aspire to.  Is there a pattern or skill that you don’t yet feel ready to tackle but which you hope to (or think you can only dream of) tackling in the future, near or distant? Is there a skill or project that makes your mind boggle at the sheer time, dedication and mastery of the craft? Maybe the skill or pattern is one that you don’t even personally want to make but can stand back and admire those that do. Maybe it is something you think you will never be bothered to actually make bu can admire the result of those that have.

I would love to knit all of these:

Brooklyn Tweed's Hemlock Ring Blanket


Brooklyn Tweed's Girasole Blanket


Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pi Shawl
I have yarn right now for both the Hemlock Ring Blanket and Girasole.  If you look at  my Ravelry queue, you will notice that (a) all of these lovely patterns are behind a lot of sock and hat patterns and (b) I queued them a while ago.

So what's holding me back?  Anticipation of how long they will take.  They look so big.  And that is very intimidating.  Socks and hats can take two weeks or less to make.  More or less instantly gratifying.  Easy to take in the car when I'm driving the kids around.  And they look so complicated.  Not good when you are knitting in 20-30 minute intervals here and there throughout the day.

But they are so beautiful.  And I will knit them.  Someday.  



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be intimidated by these. Shawls are surprisingly quick and fit in my bag for most of their construction.

Just go for it!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I knit a Girasole in just over a month - and I was pretty much a newbie to lace knitting. It actually isn't that hard - the pattern is very well written. I recommend using interchangeable circulars, that way you can increased the length of the needle as the blanket grows. And I suggest using lifelines - that way if there's an error you don't need to tink back forever, or worse, frog the project.

I stuck some more notes and suggestions on my Ravelry project page http://www.ravelry.com/projects/anji/girasole. Good luck, and really, it's not that hard!

rachel said...

I have the Hemlock Ring pattern waiting for me to knit it one day, too. But seeing all the lovely things you knit, I'm pretty certain you can make these! I will help cheer you along when you decide to cast these lacy patterns on the needles.